Imagine Formula 1 Blogs
Imagine Formula 1 Bloggers
FIA Extend Deadline for Bahrain Grand Prix Decision
Organisers given more time to decide whether or not they can host the race
Posted May 05, 2011 by Chris White
Send to a friend
The Formula One governing body, the FIA, have extended the deadline for the Bahrain Grand Prix officials, (BIC), to decide whether or not they are able to stage this year's race until 3rd June.
An FIA spokesperson said, "This decision was taken after consultation with the relevant Bahraini authorities and Formula One Management, the international promoter."
The FIA originally requested a decision by 1st May and over the weekend the BIC said it was keen to see Formula One return to the venue in the "very near future", though it refrained from specifying when this was likely to be.
The original race, scheduled for the first race of the season on 13th March, was postponed due to the recent anti-government protests that left 700 people dead and hundreds more injured.
BIC Chairman, Zayed Rashid said, "Bahrain's Grand Prix is a time of celebration and hosting the race is a source of great pride for Bahrain and Bahrainis. It is a showcase to the world and we look forward to welcoming the teams and drivers and everyone involved in Formula One back to Bahrain in the very near future.
"Clearly our national priority is to find a resolution to the difficulties that the Kingdom of Bahrain has experienced. The national situation has moved on in a positive manner, and the situation is evolving all the time."
President of the Formula One Management, Bernie Eccleston, previously suggested that the race could be rescheduled for the mid-season break in July.
So far, reigning World Champion Sebastian Vettel is leading the 2011 Championship after three rounds, with the next race on 8th May in Turkey.